You’ll save hundreds of dollars by opting to build a do-it-yourself dog house, rather than buying a pre-made one at the store. Raw materials are cheap, and high-quality dog house construction plans can be instantly downloaded from the Internet. This article breaks down the basics of building your own kennel and directs you to the next logical step in this excellent DIY project.
Obtaining free or discounted wood
To start with, I am going to discuss how to get wood cheaply. Traditionally, you would have to buy in bulk to get a substantial price reduction from your local sawmill. However, we’re just coming out of a devastating recession, and I think you’ll find that simply asking for a discount will work 90% of the time. If not, you might consider purchasing additional lumber for other DIY projects.
Free wood is also an option. I’m not talking about walking through the woods and cutting down trees. Rather, you could ask the neighbors if they have wood scraps in their yard. Antique furniture is also useful. Get creative as you will be amazed at the kinds of things you can use to build a great kennel.
Style of your kennel
Whether you’re looking to build a basic small dog house or a premium dog duplex mansion, style matters in this cosmetic https://www.murfreesborofencing.com/ age. Most of the time a simple paint job would suffice, but there are plenty of other ways to spice up an otherwise dull kennel.
– Attach a name plate.
– Build a dog house with a flat roof and put a herb garden on top.
– Build a “driveway” to the house and line it with plants.
– Install a “dog door”. This is exceptionally good if you live in a cool climate.
– If building from construction plans for a duplex dog house, consider a removable partition wall so your pets can sleep together on cold nights.
– Put some “windows” for additional ventilation. You can build hinged flaps so you can close it in winter.